Summer brings individuals and families out – literally. Hot days and clear skies are a perfect recipe for outings to the park and leisurely evening strolls. Especially because we are still in quarantine, people are more likely to leave their homes for walks to get fresh air and exercise. Unfortunately, the increase in pedestrians outside in the summer increases the likelihood of pedestrian accidents. According to the National Highway Traffic Association, more than 4,800 pedestrians were killed in car accidents in 2014.
It is important as pedestrians to stay safe and follow traffic laws to avoid an accident that can cause potentially life-threatening injuries. Pedestrian accidents often occur in busy intersections and on the sides of the road, but they can also occur in parking lots and driveways.
Some common safety tips you can keep in mind this summer when you go outside:
- Stick to sidewalks: Pedestrians should always stay on the sidewalk, but if there is not one, it is important to keep as far away from traffic as possible and to walk in the direction of traffic, not against it.
- Use crosswalks: Crossing in the middle of the street, known as jaywalking, increases the chances of a collision because drivers will not expect to see you. Using a crosswalk legally, and after all drivers have come to a complete stop, can save your life, and prevent accidents.
- Go in groups: Drivers are more likely to notice groups of people walking than individuals. This allows vehicle drivers to be more alert and focus on navigating around you safely. Walk with your friends and family if you can.
- Stay visible: If you are out walking in the early morning or at night, you need to make sure you are visible to drivers. Wear bright or reflective clothing when going out to avoid being struck. Bring a flashlight with you or use a flashlight feature/app on your phone while walking.
- Remain alert: Though you may be abiding by laws and even walking on the sidewalk, you cannot prevent negligent drivers from causing accidents. Be alert and look out for cars – meaning, turn down your music to listen for cars, do not texting while walking, and avoid phone conversations while crossing the street.
Working Towards Your Future
At Alex & Associates, our personal injury attorneys are committed to helping the injured in their time of need. Pedestrians often experience some of the most severe injuries because they lack physical protection upon impact when struck by motor vehicles. As a result, they may accrue tens of thousands of dollars in medical expenses for needed treatment. Our team believes you should not suffer by paying out-of-pocket for those medical costs.
Through our steadfast advocacy, we can recover the following damages for injured clients:
- Medical bills, including expenses like ambulance rides, hospital stays, surgeries, physical therapy, medical equipment, and more.
- Lost wages and earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering.
- Property damage.
- Burial and funeral costs for families who lost a loved one.
With our legal counsel, you can begin taking your steps toward a brighter future.
Contact us online or by phone at (602) 483-6114 for a free consultation if you or a loved one has been injured in an accident. Our pedestrian accident attorneys can pursue justice on your behalf and secure the full compensation you deserve.