It’s widely known that riding a motorcycle is more dangerous than driving a car. One of the reasons for this is that road hazards that may have little impact on cars could cause serious damage to motorcycles, threatening rider safety. Even something as tame as uneven pavement can cause a motorcycle accident resulting in catastrophic injuries or death. It’s important for motorcyclists to know what to be on the lookout for before they hit the road, as an accident can easily involve other drivers and passengers.
Common road hazards that motorcyclists should be aware of include:
- Rough roads: Roadways that have become rough due to construction work or years without repair can increase the risk of a motorcycle crash.
- Gravel: While gravel is no problem for cars to drive over, it remains one of the most challenging hazards for motorcycles to navigate, especially when making turns. Accidents can frequently occur when motorcyclists are turning too fast over gravel.
- Slippery surfaces: Painted surfaces, leaves, crosswalk lines, trolley tracks, and oil can all make the road slippery, especially when wet, which can cause motorcycles to slide.
- Snow, ice, and standing water: These conditions can cause hydroplaning, causing motorcyclists to lose control of their bikes. Snow and ice are known to be more dangerous for motorcycles than for cars.
- Road debris: Debris in the road, including tire tread parts, branches, rocks, or things that have fallen off of cars and trucks all pose a threat to motorcycles. Additionally, objects that fly off trucks and cars can hit and seriously injure motorcyclists.
- Edge breaks: An edge break occurs when two lanes are of different heights, and can be dangerous for motorcyclists who are riding at high speeds on freeways.
How to Safely Navigate the Road
Knowing what hazards to be aware of, as well as how to avoid them when you encounter them, can prevent motorcycle crashes that often involve surrounding cars, buses, and trucks, resulting in multiple injuries and sometimes fatalities.
There are a few things riders can keep in mind the next time they encounter a road hazard, including:
- Slowing down: Many accidents occur when motorcycles go at high speed, as hitting debris can cause riders to lose control. Slowing down when you see debris or other hazards ahead can help you travel carefully.
- Avoiding tailgating: Placing a safe distance between yourself and vehicles in front of you can prevent you from involving other passengers or drivers in the event that you crash.
- Don’t make sudden movements: Braking suddenly or swerving, especially on slippery surfaces, can easily cause you to lose balance or lose control of your motorcycle.
Millions Recovered for Clients
When you’ve been injured in an accident caused by negligence, you want to make sure you receive the full compensation you need to heal. Our personal injury attorneys at Alex & Associates have years of demonstrated success in cases and have recovered millions of dollars for victims of motor vehicle accidents, medical malpractice, and more. Our mission is to change lives for the better – we accomplish this by representing injured clients through litigation and negotiated settlements. You have medical bills, lost wages, property damage, and more to deal with in addition to your pain and suffering, but you shouldn’t have to be the one to pay for it.
Don’t wait to get started on your personal injury claim. Our motorcycle accident attorneys are available to help when you call today at (602) 483-6114, or contact us online. Alex & Associates want to provide better futures for our clients through professional and seasoned legal counsel. Hablamos español.