Hablamos Español

How to File a Lawsuit Against the Federal Government

If you were injured by a government agency, you might be wondering how to file a lawsuit against the federal government. While it is more difficult to sue a government agency than a private citizen, it’s still possible. If you are patient and willing to take the extra steps, you may increase your chances of obtaining the compensation you deserve. Here is some useful information on how to file a lawsuit against the government:

File an Administrative Claim

The first thing to do is to file an administrative claim with the federal agency who acted negligently. Use the Standard Form 95 to list information about yourself and the accident, including the date of the accident and the exact amount of damages you are claiming. If there were any witnesses present at the time of the accident, you may list their names and contact information. Understand that you only have two years to file the claim, so if you’re wondering how to file a lawsuit against the federal government, it may be best to start the process as soon as possible.

If you don’t feel comfortable filling out the Standard Form 95 on your own, you can always have a lawyer help you with the process. Your lawyer can make sure all the documents are filled out correctly and submitted on time.

The federal agency you are filing a claim against has six months to respond. Sometimes federal agencies agree that the claim is valid and pay you the money you request without going to court. In other cases, these agencies deny claims. That’s when you may need to learn how to file a lawsuit against the federal government.

Hire a Lawyer

If your initial claim gets denied, you may want to file a lawsuit against the government. Again, you only have six months to file the lawsuit. Filing a lawsuit against the federal government can involve many complexities, so it may be in your best interest to hire an experienced lawyer. Your lawyer may help you learn how to file a lawsuit against the federal government and get the justice you deserve. They may ensure your rights are protected and could improve your chances of recovering fair compensation.

It’s important to understand that you can’t sue the federal government for more money than you asked for in your claim, unless you have new evidence that proves your injuries have a higher value. Your lawsuit must also be filed in the United States District Court where you live or where your claim came about.

After you file the lawsuit, the process is the same as any other lawsuit. You and your lawyer may try to negotiate a settlement out of court or agree to take the case to trial.

If you’ve been injured because of the negligence of a government agency or employee, you may be able to claim compensation for your pain and suffering through a lawsuit. For more information on how to file a lawsuit against the federal government, contact Alex & Associates at (602) 483-6114.